What if all of us know someone or are related to someone with a severe mental illness, but we feel better when it’s a secret?
First, please hear me when I say, “I am not judging you.”
I feel at liberty to discuss schizophrenia for the following reasons:
- My job is not dependent on what I reveal about my family, nor should it ever be ;
- More people are discussing mental health issues;
- I’m older. If I don’t do it now, will I ever do it?;
- My parents are deceased; and
- I have a wee bit of courage, not a whole lot, but a wee bit.
Maybe that’s all it takes sometimes…is just a wee bit of courage.